Sunday 23 May 2004

Nighthawks

OK, so I don't know anything about art. Well about as much as I know about football or music, anyway. But I do know what I like. Recognize the picture below?



It's by an American artist called Edward Hopper. This is probably his most famous picture and has been parodied countless times. I was reading an article about him in the Sunday Times supplement a couple of weeks ago. Yes, I only bought it for the free gift.

The article talks about how his works is voyeuristic and focuses on isolation and depression, but I like it. It has a quiet quality, like those few hours after midnight when most of the world is asleep, and a simplicity that matches its period.

To find out more about Hopper, follow the link below:
Hopper @ The Art Institute of Chicago

2 comments:

Mark Slattery said...

Accepted. This place has gone, but I might find somewhere similar in NY or Chicago.

Mark Slattery said...

Wow! I must be a trend setter. Almost as soon as I post a mini-article on my blog about Hopper the Tate Modern in london decide to open an exibition dedicated to him.

The power of the Internet at work?

Hopper@The Tate Modern