Monday 4 July 2005

A regular festival sofa goer

I spent most of this Saturday/Sunday morning watching Live 8 on BBC from the comfort of my sofa.

I also, spent most of the previous Saturday/Sunday morning watching Glastonbury 2005 on BBC from the comfort of my sofa.

I becoming a bit of a agoraphobic, festival sofa goer.

I've never been a big music person. I enjoy listening to music but don't follow bands or subscribe to any particular genre. I only went to my first concert a couple of years ago. Because of this, and my dislike of camping, I've never been too taken with the festival thing and this is probably the closest I'll come to attending one.

I was a little bored with the Glastonbury coverage. They focused on the main Pyramid stage for the majority of the time and the bands that played there all had a similar feel (Keane, Coldplay, Kaiser Chiefs).

Live 8 was much more interesting. Not only did you have a wider range of styles (although mainly white, western pop for which they were criticised) but you were constantly entertained by Jonathan Ross screwing up his links. Highlights included:

  • JR linking to Brian Wilson saying "Now we go over to Brian Wilson in Philadelphia, although having met him he probably doesn't know were he is". Then going to BW who was playing in Berlin.

  • JR referring to the live feed from the Big Screen in Manchester as Birmingham at least twice.

    Class! Thanks Jonathan for putting the live in Live 8.

    Buy Live Aid [1985] (DVD)@Amazon.co.uk
  • No comments: